7 Questions on John in the For You Commentary Series
Josh Moody (Ph.D., University of Cambridge) is the senior pastor of College Church in Wheaton. He is a pastor, author, conference speaker (Moody Founders Week, Basics Conference), and college campus speaker (Yale University, University of Illinois, Durham University, Cambridge University, Oxford University, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Southern Theological Seminary, Moody Bible Institute, Gordon Conwell Seminary, Union University, Criswell University).
He is the president and founder of God Centered Life Ministries. His books include 7 Days to Change Your Life (Abingdon Press 2017), How Church Can Change Your Life (Christian Focus 2015), Preaching to the Affections (Christian Focus 2014), Journey to Joy (Crossway 2013), Jonathan Edwards and Justification (Crossway 2012), No Other Gospel (Crossway 2011), and The God-Centered Life (Regent 2007; IVP UK 2006).
He was an associate fellow of Jonathan Edwards College, Yale University (2007-2011), and his Cambridge University doctorate in Theology was published in 2005.
Pastor Josh grew up south of London in England, became a follower of Jesus in the Church of England, was an undergraduate at Cambridge University where he was president of the Cambridge Inter-Collegiate Christian Union. He is married to Rochelle and they have four children.
1. What previous research and/or personal interests led you to this project and helped prepare you to
write this commentary on John?
I wanted to do a new sermon series on the whole book of John for our church. To help prepare for that I needed to spend significant time understanding the book of John in its entirety, grasping its connections, and being ready to make good judgment calls about the appropriate preaching sections and tactics for each sermon. When the invitation to write a commentary on John came my way, it gave me a framework from which to do all that research. And the first Sunday in the new sermon series I was able to point people to a recently published commentary on John!
2. Who is the intended audience for this commentary? Would it benefit pastors? professors? students? lay Christians in the local church?
All of the above
3. What is unique about this commentary? What contribution does it make to studies of John?
The John For You commentary is in the “God’s Word For You” series from The Good Book Company. The series focuses on the practical and accessible, without dumbing down or not addressing the intellectual.
4. What section or passage of this commentary was particularly memorable to research and write? Why?
With still another volume to come, I will reserve judgment on that. But so far, it is the extraordinary clarity and depth of John as a book. The structure of John is disarmingly simple. And the content is astonishingly deep.
5. What personally edified you in writing this commentary, increasing your affections for Christ?
The emphasis in John on “life to the full”: that in Christ we are offered fullness of life.
6. Besides your commentary, what are your top recommended books (commentaries or otherwise) on John?
7. What is next for you? What project are you currently working on? How can people follow your work and ministry?
I have to complete volume 2 of John For You. Also due this summer: How the Bible Can Change Your Life.
Get Pastor Moody’s John commentary
The link provided will direct you to this volume via it’s exact ISBN number:
- Get Dr. Moody’s commentary on John on Amazon