Darrell L. Bock is the author of the Ephesians commentary in the Tyndale New Testament Commentary series. Dr. Bock (University of Aberdeen, Ph.D) is also the Executive Director of Cultural Engagement and Senior Research Professor of New Testament Studies at Dallas Theological Seminary.
Dr. Bock has earned recognition as a Humboldt Scholar (Tübingen University in Germany), is the author of over 40 books, including highly-praised commentaries on Luke and Acts in the BECNT series, Luke in the NIVAC series, and Ephesians in the Tyndale New Testament Commentary series.
Dr. Bock was president of the Evangelical Theological Society (ETS) for 2000–2001, is a consulting editor for Christianity Today magazine, and serves on the boards of Wheaton College and Chosen People Ministries. His articles appear in leading publications. He is often an expert for the media on New Testament issues.
Dr. Bock is elder emeritus at Trinity Fellowship Church in Dallas.
7 Questions on Ephesians in the Tyndale New Testament Commentary Series
Dr. Bock graciously agreed to answer my questions about his new Ephesians commentary. Readers will learn about how this commentary came to be, why it’s unique among other Ephesians commentaries, and what personally affected Dr. Bock as he wrote.
1. What previous research and/or personal interests led you to this project and helped prepare you to write this commentary on Ephesians?
I have taught Ephesians in a core exegesis class for more than twenty years.
2. Who is the intended audience for this commentary? Would it benefit pastors? professors? students? lay Christians in the local church?
It is for anyone interested in the epistle.
3. What is unique about this commentary? What contribution does it make to studies of Ephesians?
It makes a case for it being a summary of Paul’s teaching on our identity in Christ and seeks to summarize current discussion about the letter.
4. What section or passage of this commentary was particularly memorable to research and write? Why?
I love it all. The book is so defining for who a Christian is to be.
5. What personally edified you in writing this commentary, increasing your affections for Christ?
The depth and array of benefits grace gives to us is encouraging.
6. Besides your commentary, what are your top recommended books (commentaries or otherwise) on Ephesians?
Harold Hoehner has a very full, technical treatment of the book.
7. What is next for you? What project are you currently working on? How can people follow your work and ministry?
I have edited a major work on method and the historical Jesus out at year’s end. Next comes a book on a Theology of Cultural Engagement we are calling cultural intelligence.
Please also see the Q & A Dr. Bock did on his Luke commentary in the BECNT series.
Own Darrell Bock’s Ephesians commentary
The link provided will direct you to this volume via it’s exact ISBN number:
- Get Dr. Bock’s commentary on Luke at Amazon
- Get Dr. Bock’s commentary on Luke on Christian Book Distributors