Study Bibles for men focus on issues and topics concerning God, faith, marriage, parenting, work, money, sex, and much more, in the study notes and articles. The book design, content, and special features are all designed to help men understand Scripture. For example:
- * Articles and notes about Joseph from the book of Genesis may be about temptation or perseverance.
- * Articles and notes about David from the book of 1 Samuel may be about leadership or faithfulness.
- * Articles and notes about Peter may be about overcoming the past and rebounding from failure.
Compare dozens of Study Bibles on The Ultimate Study Bible Comparison Chart.
Best Study Bible for Men: The Top 5
Study Bibles have the same biblical text (i.e. translation) as any other bible, but the study aids that help readers understand the stories, and apply them to their lives, target men.
How were the recommendations below chosen? The first five study bibles listed below specifically target men. The second five listed focus on topics in which many many men are interested.
(1) Men’s Devotional Bible
This Study Bible for men is unique because it contains a devotional plan, which is a schedule of daily readings that help readers commit to learning Scripture and applying it to their lives.
The notes and articles are easy to understand and take a down-to-earth approach to discussing the biblical text and the issues that affect men on a daily basis.
Some contributors are well-known authors that have been writing about men’s issues for years. Other authors are just regular men who love Christ and do their best to live for him.
- Complete text of the NIV
- A full year of weekday and weekend devotions, along with application statements, questions for reflection, and more
- Devotions written by Chuck Colson, Lee Strobel, and Rick Warren
- Multiple reading plans for year-after-year use
- Introductions for each book of the Bible
- Subject index to help you locate topics easily
Also see What Is A Woman’s Study Bible? to learn more.
(2) Every Man’s Bible
This Study Bible is the work of Steve Arterburn, who has been writing for years about issues affecting men.
He is well-known for his book (and the subsequent series), Every Man’s Battle (link to Amazon), which is about winning the war on sexual temptation.
Every Man’s Bible provides straightforward teaching for men about a variety of topics, from marriage, to work, to temptation.
The articles and notes are written for regular men, not scholars.
- New Living Translation text (others available, too)
- Book introductions and 44 charts
- Study Notes help you gain a better perspective on a particular verse or passage
- Men, Women, and God―This feature focuses on two of the most important relationships in every man’s life: his relationship with God and his relationships with women.
- Someone You Should Know―Profiles of men in the Bible and what their lives can teach us about the importance of faith in our own lives.
- What the Bible Says About―Gives insight into the Bible’s vital message on all kinds of topics for daily living.
- Perspectives―Glean bits of information from great men who have lived through many of the same issues and struggles that you face.
- Personal Gold―Sound advice from the pros: Henry Blackaby, Stuart Briscoe, Tony Evans, David Jeremiah, Gordon MacDonald, Bill McCartney, J. I. Packer, Joseph Stowell, and Chuck Swindoll.
Want more options? See the Study Bible Comparison Chart to compare and contrast dozens of Study Bibles.
(3) The Men’s Devotional Bible
The ESV Bible translation is a relatively new, yet well-reviewed, translation. The study notes and articles that accompany the ESV text aim at “strengthening men in their daily lives as disciples of Christ,” according to the publisher.
The focus of the study aids is to disciple men, nurture holiness, and point them to Christ in every area of their lives. Not only are men’s actions and words discussed, but his heart is as well. The contributors write from a Reformed theological perspective.
- R. Kent Hughes
- Alistair Begg
- Bryan Chapell
- many others
(4) Promise Keeper’s Men’s Study Bible
“Promise Keepers” was a popular men’s ministry that reached it’s height of influence in the 1990’s. The ministry changed the lives of thousands of men and set them on Christ-honoring paths, which they still travel on today.
Promise Keepers published a Men’s Study Bible, which contains articles written by leaders, and contributors, to the ministry.
From the back of the book: Your relationship with God. Your wife. Your family. Your friends. Your church. Your world. Even if you’ve never been to a Promise Keepers event, if you’re a Christian, these things are extremely important to you.
You’ve probably discovered that commitments are far easier to make than they are to keep. With the pressures you face as a man today, it’s tough to maintain the integrity of your walk with God.
Also see How to Choose a Study Bible to learn more.
(5) He Reads Truth Bible
From the publisher: “The CSB He Reads Truth Bible includes robust, well-crafted theological extras to draw the reader back to Scripture, increase biblical literacy, and foster a growing affection for God and His Word.
Color coded by genre, each book of the Bible features detailed book introductions, a reading plan with supplemental passages for deeper understanding, and full-color maps, charts, and timelines by the He Reads Truth team.
In addition, the He Reads Truth Bible features 66 key verses, artfully lettered to aid in Scripture memorization.
This Bible invites every man to count himself as part of the He Reads Truth community of “Men in the Word of God every day.”
- 66 hand-lettered key verses
- 17 full-color timelines, 21 maps, 122 charts (including infographics and lists), and 4 illustrations
- reading plans for every book of the Bible, one-year Bible reading plan
- detailed book introductions, key verse list
- wide margins for journaling and note taking
Study Bible or Reference Bible? See Study Bibles vs References Bibles: What’s the Difference? to learn more.
More Study Bible Suggestions for Men
American Patriot’s Bible – (NKJV, KJV)
From the publisher: “The one bible that shows how ‘a light from above’ shaped our nation. Never has a version of the Bible targeted the spiritual needs of those who love our country more than The American Patriot’s Bible.
This extremely unique Bible shows how the history of the United States connects the people and events of the Bible to our lives in a modern world.
The story of the United States is wonderfully woven into the teachings of the Bible and includes a beautiful full-color family record section, memorable images from our nation’s history and hundreds of enlightening articles which complement the New King James Version Bible text.”
Maxwell Leadership Bible – (NKJV, NIV)
From the publisher: “Every believer is a person of influence. In the Maxwell Leadership Bible, leadership expert John C. Maxwell shows you the principles of leadership taught in God’s Word and how to use them.
Whether you are an employee, a boss, a parent, or a neighbor, you are a person of influence in your part of the world.
Throughout the pages of Scripture, John Maxwell has assembled the time-tested and irrefutable biblical principles of leadership to equip and encourage leaders with his signature approach, including the 21 Laws of Leadership, the 21 Qualities of a Leader, biographical profiles, and hundreds of notes.”
- Over 120 “Profiles in Leadership” lessons drawn from the people of the Bible
- Hundreds of compelling short articles and notes on mentoring and influence
- A complete reference index to the 21 Laws of Leadership and the 21 Qualities of a Leader
Also see Best Study Bibles for Beginners for more options.
Revolution Bible – NIV (for teenage guys)
From the publisher: The NIV Revolution Bible equips you to be a revolutionary―living your faith on the edge, challenging things that need to be challenged, discovering new possibilities, and helping others to discover them as well.
Like no other Bible you have ever read, NIV Revolution is for today’s teen guy living in a messy world.
God knows all about this world―He is the authority when it comes to understanding relationships, communication, sex, parents, popularity, peer pressure, drugs, divorce, and everything else teenagers face.
He also knows what makes you tick, loves you more than you can ever imagine, and wants you to experience a life of purpose, responsibility, and impact.”
Also see Best Study Bibles for Couples for more options.
Illustrated Study Bible – New Living Translation
Many men are visual learners. This may be a great study for them. From the publisher: “The Illustrated Study Bible brings Scripture’s message to life by giving readers an entirely new visual study experience.
Hundreds of information-rich windows to the Bible world instantly communicate foundational truths and complex information in an understandable, compelling way for today’s visual generation.
The who, what, where, when, and why of the Bible come alive with stunning photos, illustrations, infographics, and full color maps integrated seamlessly with background material, study notes, and theme articles.
The Illustrated Study Bible empowers readers to draw closer to God by opening their eyes to Scripture’s living, powerful message.”
Also see Best ESV Study Bibles for more options.
Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible
From the publisher: “You’ve heard many Bible stories hundreds of times, but how many details are you missing? Sometimes a little context is all you need to discover the rich meaning behind even the most familiar stories of Scripture.
That’s what the NIV Cultural Backgrounds Study Bible provides. Every page of this NIV Bible is packed with expert insight into the customs, culture, and literature of biblical times.
These fascinating explanations will serve to clarify your study of the Scriptures, reinforcing your confidence and bringing difficult passages of Scripture into sharp focus.”
- 2017 ECPA Bible of the Year Recipient
- Book introductions explain the context in which each book of the Bible was written
- Insightful and informative verse-by-verse study notes
- Key Old Testament and New Testament terms are explained
- Over 300 in-depth articles on key contextual topics
- 375 full-color photos, illustrations, and images from around the world
- Dozens of charts, maps, and diagrams in vivid color
- Words of Jesus in red
Study Bible or Regular Bible? See Study Bibles vs Regular Bibles: What’s the Difference? to learn more.